Every day we are working with seniors and their loved ones helping them find their forever homes. We thought it would be fun to write an article about all the things we realize as we get older Hopefully, some of them will give you a chuckle.
- Adults have no clue about life either! As children, you could ask your parents questions and they would answer the question and you thought they were so smart. Well, guess what, they more than likely made it up because they had no clue either! Even as seniors we have no clue! So don’t ask us! HA!
- Always thank people! Being kind and respectful shows sincerity, people remember that and will look more favorably at you. It also shows you have manners and that goes a long way as well.
- Things always work out how they’re supposed to!! Try not to get upset if something didn’t work out as you expected, it worked out the way it is meant to be. There is a reason for everything and it will become apparent eventually.
- Always trust your gut instinct. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, don’t do it! Use your judgment, how many times have you gone against it and it bit you in the butt? I’ve done it too many times for me to count.
- You make your own happiness! No one or nothing can make you happy, sorry to say. You are in control of your own happiness; you choose to wake up with a smile or a frown. The day is yours to do with what you wish and you can make it a great day or a bad day depending on your outlook. Have a great outlook!!!
- Accept change and go with it! Things in life change, you cannot stop this – it is a fact of life. If you learn to go with the flow, I know it’s hard, things will be much easier to deal with. Just like dancing, don’t stop dancing because the song changed, keep dancing, just change your rhythm.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. You may not get it, but how do you know if you don’t ask for it? I can relate this to golf, I may make a hole in one, but I won’t know if I don’t take the shot.
- Be different! Dress how you want, wear your hair how you want. Don’t conform to others ways to fit in, we’re too old for that! Uniqueness equals greatness! Be comfortable in your own skin, be who YOU are!
- Accept people for who they are and know you can’t change them. There’s nothing you can do to change people, no matter how hard you try. People have their beliefs, no matter how crazy you think they are, and that is their reality, so you can choose to keep them in your life and let it go, or don’t bother with them. Remember, you choose your own happiness.
- Finish that bucket list!! Do what you’ve always wanted to do, don’t wait. If you have the time and the means, do it! Tomorrow is never promised, take advantage of what you have today!!
Witty growing older quotes
The older I get, the more I realize perfection does not exist and most of the time “good enough” is good enough. – Candace Edwards
“It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
“I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.” ― Albert Einstein
“I have left orders to be awakened at any time during a national emergency, even if I’m in a cabinet meeting.” ― Ronald Reagan
“Some guy said to me: Don’t you think you’re too old to sing rock n’ roll? I said: You’d better check with Mick Jagger.” ― Cher
“It does not take much to make us realize what fools we are, but the little it takes is long in coming.” ― Flannery O’Connor
“It’s strange, really, how time passes. You don’t even notice the world is changing until one day, you look around you and realize that everything around you is different.” ― Nenia Campbell
“A real grown-up doesn’t get old, but mature as time passes by.” ― Young H. D. Kim
“He no longer cared much what others thought of him. There were few benefits in growing older, and this was one.” ― Ian McEwan
See, we all have the same thoughts and ideas, you are NOT alone!!! You must be able to laugh at getting older, if not you will crumble up and wither away.
If you’re looking for other senior living articles and resources then click here.